There are a few things we know we need to do to aid a good nights sleep: limit caffeine intake, put the smartphone down, maintain a consistent exercise routine, and just generally try to be as healthy as possible. But with things like running minds, menstrual cycles and irregular sleeping schedules playing their part in ruining a peaceful slumber, we can only give yoga a shot at helping find peace with the pillow each night.
Thankfully, our friend Abi Carver of Yoga 15 shares her top tips for rolling out the mat before bedtime, and practising a sequence of 5 soft and soothing poses to help settle the body and mind for a night of restful shut eye.
Read on for the exact poses, benefits and how to’s, plus an EXCLUSIVE offer for Yoga 15 for the active girl.
1. Legs Up The Wall
Gently stretches the hamstrings, lower back and the back of your neck Alleviates lower back pain Relaxes the body and calms the mind
- Rest your feet up against the wall at the head of your bed.
- Bring your arms by your sides, palms facing up.
- Close your eyes and relax into the pose for 5-10 deep breaths. Notice as your belly expands on your inhalation and contracts as you exhale.
2. Seated Twist
Increases spinal flexibility
Stretches the knees, abs, chest, shoulders and neck
Alleviates lower back pain
- Sit cross-legged in the middle of your bed.
- Place your left hand on your right knee and your right fingertips a few inches behind you.
- Inhale, sit up tall. Exhale, twist to the right from the base of your spine–looking over your right shoulder.
- Stay in the pose for 5 deep breaths–inhaling to lengthen and exhaling to twist a little deeper.
- Come back to centre on your last exhalation and switch your legs for the other side.
3. Folded Butterfly
Stretches the inner thighs, groin, hamstrings, knees, upper and lower back Opens up the hips Releases tension in the neck and shoulders Alleviates back pain Relaxes the body and calms the mind
- Bring the soles of your feet together in the shape of a diamond and let your legs fall open.
- Inhale, sit up tall. Exhale, fold forward and completely relax your upper body–arms, neck and head.
- Close your eyes and relax into the pose for 5-10 deep breaths–breathing deep into your abdomen.
- To come out of the pose, take a deep breath in. Exhale, gently come back up to sitting, bring your legs out in front of you and give them a shake.
4. Child’s Pose
Stretches the upper and lower back, glutes, knees and ankles Relieves anxiety, stress and fatigue Alleviates back, shoulder and neck pain Relaxes the body and calms the mind
- Come to all fours, touch your big toes together, sit back on your heels and rest your forehead on the bed. Bring your arms by your sides, palms facing up and let go of any tension across your upper back and shoulders.
- Stay in the pose for 5-10 breaths.
- To come out of the pose, take a deep breath in, bring your palms to the bed and press up to kneeling on an exhalation.
5. Happy Baby
Opens up the hips Stretches the groin and hamstrings Alleviates lower back pain Relaxes the body and calms the mind
- Lie on your back, take hold of the outsides of your feet, bring your ankles out over your knees, flex your feet and gently pull them towards you.
- Press your lower back into the bed.
- Close your eyes and stay in the pose for 5-10 breaths, rocking gently from side to side.
EXCLUSIVE YOGA 15 OFFER
Active in Style readers can access an exclusive series of 15 x 15-minute yoga videos designed by Abi to support you and your on-the-go lifestyles.
It includes routines to pick you up, calm you down, build your strength and stretch out tight muscles.
Whether you train hard, work long hours or devote all your energy to looking after your family, this series of bitesize yoga videos is for you.
Access 30% OFF the series in March with code “SLEEP”
Buy the series now and stream anytime, anywhere on your iOS device, Apple TV, Vimeo and Chromecast.
We are big believers in Abi’s vision, and actively use Yoga 15 amongst our weekly fitness schedules. It’s the perfect answer to our busy lives, and for those times when you find yourself contemplating skipping that workout. Download Yoga 15 via the App Store, or you can visit Abi’s website for all the information as well as follow her on Instagram for a dose of seaside yoga and a look at her life in costal Mexico (jealous).